Monday, December 7, 2009

1 Malaysia in Practice


This story was published in Hannah Yeoh's blog somtime in Oct. and was repeated in  Citizen's Nades column.
This story is so meaningful and inspiring that I feel compel to reproduce it again so that those who miss it, can truly know the meaning of 1 Malaysia.
The guy sitting in the wheelchair is Chin Kit and the guy next to him is Azizul, who is also suffering a disability of the hand. Chin Kit stays at the Angsana flat in USJ 1, while Azizul stays at Pantai Dalam in Kuala Lumpur. I'll let Chin Kit tell his story:
Azizul used to be my school mate. We studied in the same school before. Now he is one of my best friends. Whenever I want to go to a public place I will call him and he will surely take a bus to come to my house. Then after that we will take a public taxi to travel wherever we want to go. When we get a taxi, he will help carry me in and out of my heavy wheelchair. When we are in public places, we live like normal people, window shopping, buying things, watching movies, and just hanging-out like normal people. So I'm very appreciative and I thank God to have a friend like Azizul. Hopefully our friendship will last forever".
Truly the picture and the story say it all, true friendship that goes beyond the bounderies of skin colour, religion and disabilities. Isn't this is what we are yearning for? This is what 1 Malaysia is all about. We started on the right footing, in the fifties and sixties, but somewhere along our journey, greed, power and corruption among the ruling coalition crept in and we began to crumple. The saddest part  is that the divisive and racial elements are not perpetuated by ordinary Malaysians, but by the Umno leaders and their bigots. Shame on you that we need 2 simple, ordinary guys to teach you what racial intergration is all about.

No comments: